[TowerTalk] Gin pole advice?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Gin pole advice?
From: n4gn@n4gn.com (Tim Totten, N4GN)
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 15:27:10 -0500 (EST)
In looking through the archives, I found a few mentions of various gin
pole options, but very little in the way of advice or opinions regarding
the advantages, disadvantages, likes and dislikes of each of the models.
Even searching the web turned up few detailed specifications or pictures
of the choices in gin poles.  The only detailed description I could find
was for Antenna Mart/Max Gain Systems' gin pole
(http://www.mgs4u.com/ginpole.htm).

I am specifically considering getting another gin pole for 45G.  I have a
gin pole from Heights Towers, but I've not been particularly happy with
it.  The design was intended to be used on wide variety of tower sizes,
but it doesn't fit 45G out of the box.  And the top pulley sheave was way
too loose, allowing the rope to skip off the pulley and seize up the
whole works.  I had to make some major modifications before I could use
the thing.  Now the threads that hold one of the set bolts have been
stripped, leaving only one bolt to hold the load.

Is there not a good article somewhere reviewing all the choices in gin
poles?  Or at least some pictures or drawings or spec tables?  If I have
overlooked some source of information, please let me know.  Otherwise, I'd
like to hear some opinions from those of you who have experience with
various gin pole systems.  What do you like or dislike?  Any
recommendations?

73,

Tim Totten, n4gn@n4gn.com
http://www.n4gn.com