[TowerTalk] Ooops! Wrong guy bracket assembly installed--now what?!

To: Towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Ooops! Wrong guy bracket assembly installed--now what?!
From: "Tim Totten, N4GN" <n4gn@n4gn.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 00:00:19 -0400 (EDT)
I can't believe I did this . . .

I'm installing my second tower at N4GN.  Those of you who know me know
this project is WAY behind schedule (like 5 years!).  The tower is 55G.
Today, after installing the second guy bracket assembly and second set of
guys, I noticed a slight bowing of the horizontal "zee" brace just under
the guy bracket assembly (more on this below).  Then I discovered that I
had installed a GB45D (GA45GD) bracket, made for Rohn 45G tower, as
opposed to the proper GB55D (GA55GD)  bracket!  What can I say?  My
supplier sent the wrong part, but I should have checked my order a little
more closely before installation!

In my defense, the two assemblies are within a few millimeters of being
indentical in all dimensions.  If you don't look at the part number
stamped on it, you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference at arm's
length.  At least that's the best excuse I could come up with!  I guess
I'll be on the phone Monday trying to get the right assembly.

Since a word is worth a millipicture, I put some photos on my web site:

http://www.n4gn.com/guy-brackets/

I believe the horizontal zee brace was bowed downward when I tightened the
three inside braces, pulling the tower legs very slightly inward.  The big
question now is whether I damaged the tower section to the point that I
should consider replacing it?  I've certainly seen sections on other
towers (commercial and amateur) that were dinged up far worse.  I think
I'm just inclined to replace the guy bracket assembly with the proper
model and carry on.  But I'd appreciate comments from anyone who wants to
look at the pictures and offer an opinion.

Is there even anyone left in Engineering at Rohn (Radian) who might be
able to provide more insight?  Anyone have a good contact there?

Thanks in advance for any help . . .

73,

Tim Totten, n4gn@n4gn.com
http://www.n4gn.com