Re: [TowerTalk] telephone poles from the electric co.

To: Robert West <robert.west@eatmoresoap.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] telephone poles from the electric co.
From: Ralph Matheny <mathenyr@marietta.edu>
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 11:21:10 -0400 (EDT)
When I was a kid I had a power pole, the guy at the electric company
got it for me and they dropped it into the hole I dug, with some help.
It was only 35 feet or so, but a great thing for a kid ham in 1960.

Here the local electric co-op will obtain and even set poles for members
I am told.  Never tried it.  You can bet the commercial power company here
(AEP) would not let you on the lot to pick up a scrap pole, let alone set
the thing for you.  Insurance and security issues will come up fast.

I am told that the present approach for treating power poles when new does
not lend itself to re-use.  W6XG, who worked years for the local co-op
tells me that the creasote (spelling?) they put in the pole is somehow
designed to work its way down to the bottom of the pole giving protection
to that portion in the earth, but none for the upper part of the pole.
He says if you cut one off after a few years and re-plant the thing it
will rot like any wooden pole.  We have some short ones at the radio club
(about 20 feet) and they seem OK after about 5 years.  Time will tell.

I'd still like to have four 80 footers, one at each corner of my lot for
wire antennas.  I can dream, can't I??

Ralph Matheny
K8RYU
207 Gibbons Place