log home

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: log home
From: dave@egh.com (David Clemons)
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 1996 16:48:05 -0400 (EDT)
Hi,

        I presume your question largely has to do with how you get coax
lines into the house when the walls are 8 inch thick solid wood.

        You can drill holes that depth, but you will need a wood boring
drill bit as well as a drill shaft extension (purchased at any good
hardware store).  I have seen standard wood bits up to 1 inch in diameter
at a reasonable price, but that will only allow you to snake through one
RG-213 line (and probably the PL-259 will fit as well).  Any wood bit larger
than 1 inch will probably begin to cost a great deal.

        You also need a powerful drill which has two handles.  The powerful
part is required to avoid burning out the motor, as will probably happen if
you use the standard 3/8" drill to do very many of these holes.  I have a
large industrial 3/4" drill which has two handles and weighs about 15 or 20
pounds.  Why the two handles?  Unless both handles are securely held in
both hands, when the drill bit jams (as it often does when it is about to
exit through the other side of the wood), you could be seriously hurt.
The correct size motor to regularly do jobs like this builds up a great
deal of torque, and when it jams, the drill body itself rotates very
quickly (and violently).  So, hold on tightly, make sure you have solid
footing, and by all means be prepared!

        On an unrelated note, I have a neighbor who has a commercially
built log home.  He has had some insect problems (carpenter ants I
think).  This is not terribly unusual in my neighborhood, since we live
in what used to be a heavily wooded area (75 foot high pine trees).
After having his house treated by the exterminator, he applied some sort of
clear (or semi-clear) stain which had insecticide in it.  If your house
has not been similarly treated, you might check into doing it and avoid
the problem in the future.

        By the way, make sure you seal up the holes for your coax,
otherwise you will be leaving the door open for all kinds of undesirable
visitors!

73, Dave Clemons K1VUT