roof mounting help

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: roof mounting help
From: dave@egh.com (David Clemons)
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 1996 15:03:39 -0400 (EDT)
Hi,

        A couple weeks ago I asked opinions about how to advise a friend
of mine who wanted to mount a mast through his roof.  He has decided
against doing it that way for a variety of reasons, probably including
some which were expressed in the responses I received.

        He has begun looking at the idea of a roof tripod.  The antenna
he will mount will be a Mosely CL-33 tribander (I think it is about 5 or
6 sf wind area).  He is considering one of the roof tripods by Glen
Martin Engineering.  He also would like to use a long enough mast to get
the antenna about 10 feet above the tripod.  My questions are:

        1. Has anyone had any experience with this particular brand of
           tripods?  I believe I've heard good things about some of the
           products made by Glen Martin, but I have no experience with
           roof tripods.  (The wind ratings he read to me will be more
           than adequate for this antenna.)

        2. Is it possible for him to safely mount the antenna on such a
           long mast above the top of the tripod?  Intuitively this seems
           like it will put too much of a strain on the tripod.  (I also
           don't have any idea how the antenna can be safely installed
           by the worker.)  It would seem to me that the tripod will need
           some sort of guying if the antenna sits very high above it.

        Any ideas will be appreciated.

73, Dave Clemons K1VUT