Grounding parasitic elements on KT34XA

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Grounding parasitic elements on KT34XA
From: donovanf@sgate.com (Frank Donovan)
Date: Sun, 6 Oct 1996 23:52:37 -0400 (EDT)
Lynn,

I'd advise against it, or at least recommend that you document the VSWR
bandwidth and F/B performance of the antenna before and after your
proposed modification to be sure that no unintended degradation has
occurred!

Multiband Yagis using elements grounded to the boom are subject to
spurious undesired resonances.  This is caused by currents flowing in
adjacent elements and the boom - for example 1/2 half of the last
director, the intervening boom section, and the opposite 1/2 of the
adjacent element.  The "books" you refer to probably referred to monoband
Yagis where such spurious resonances are much less likely.

I'd don't want to discourage you from trying your idea - but to encourage
you to do so with due attention to detail.

73!
Frank
W3LPL
donovanf@sgate.com