[TowerTalk] Prop Pitch seals

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Prop Pitch seals
From: donovanf@sgate.com (Frank Donovan)
Date: Wed, 7 May 1997 18:22:38 -0400 (EDT)
Mike,
Are you implying that you plan to run oil in your prop-pitch?  If so, the
type of seal used in the prop-pitch cannot hold oil anyway because it
cannot deal with the pressure from oil sitting on the seal.  The
prop-pitch was intended to run in the horizontal position (not vertical!),
and the oil only splashed on the seal, with no pressure at all.  If you
try to run oil, even with a new seal, it will eventually drip out and foul
your motor!  I recommend that u just use the old worn out seal.

I never run oil in my prop-pitches, and I've been using them for 25 years.
Just lubricate the gears with a lithium grease and u will be good to go.
73!
Frank
W3LPL
donovanf@sgate.com