[TowerTalk] Verticals on Steel Buildings

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Verticals on Steel Buildings
From: hwardsil@WOLFENET.com (Ward Silver)
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 1999 07:16:18 -0800 (PST)

> >I've mounted a Butternut HF6V dead center on top of a 40ft by
> >25ft by 16ft high steel quonset hut.
>
> Well, you sure put that vertical in the right place!

Hmmm.  Assuming the county gets off it butt and issues a permit in this
century, I am about to put up a steel garage.  This post got me thinking
that I should be planning ahead and putting some kind of mount for a
vertical on the roof - such as an HF2V or 80/160 concoction.

Questions for the worthy experts who on Towertalk lurk:

1) Can I assume there is enough capacitance at the overlap to make the
roof look relatively monolithic at HF without bonding?  Particularly at
160 and 80 meters.

2) What's the best way to make a decent connection to the roof for the
ground?  I was thinking about a couple large chunks of copper flashing
laid out on the roof to capacitively couple to the steel without any holes
in the new roof. Barring that, large wide strip and the usual connection
sealant techniques, I suppose?

3) How much pattern skew would be observed if the vertical was mounted at
the end of the roof instead of in the middle?  I'm thinking about the
various excitements of trying to navigate a slippery roof in the rain.

I realive that MMMV...

73, Ward N0AX