masts

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: masts
From: rlboyd@CapAccess.org (Rich L. Boyd)
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 1996 13:19:33 -0400 (EDT)
One source of masts used by some in Maryland is the local fence
installation company (Long Fence Co.)

I go in and tell them "I want your strongest 3" pipe."  I haven't been
knowledgeable enough to even know to ask "what schedule is it?" but I do
know I have bought 21-24' lengths for about $50.  One has been up for
eight years holding a 6-element Telrex 20 at 120' on the thrust bearing,
with an 8-element Telrex 15 eight feet above it.  So, empirically, they
seem to be strong enough.

Anyone know what "schedule" these pipes are likely to be and whether I
have just been lucky or whether heavy duty fence posts are a good choice?

Rich Boyd KE3Q