re[4]: [TowerTalk] M2 OR-2800 Rotor Stuck

To: w9ge <finger@goeaston.net>
Subject: re[4]: [TowerTalk] M2 OR-2800 Rotor Stuck
From: Jim Idelson <k1ir@designet.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 09:07:00 -0500
Well, my half-hearted assault on the tower seems to have been enough to do the
trick. Came back inside to try a few more things and it just started working.
Give me a break.

Thanks to you and everyone else who's been helping out.

Got the antennas turned in a good direction now. Just have to hope the winds
don't do damage anyway . . .

73,

Jim

> Unlikely the bolt dropping down is the problem.....you have a classic "no
pulse" situation.

remove leads from pins 5-6.  Try to move rotator by pushing either dwn or up
button while watching for voltage on pins 5-6 (Use mode 0 and speed 9).  You
should see 11.3vdc for less than one second.  If not, then turn box off and
measure resistance between pins 5 and 6.  If less than 5000 ohm, then the
MOV may be bad.  Cut it loose and try again. If no voltage then the
controller box is "bad".  If voltage present then suspect leads 5-6 going to
the rotator, or the magnets in the rotator are "bad" (very unlikely).  You
can read the resistance change on pins 5/6, but it is not easy to see.  Hook
everything back up and try to move the beam.  You should see "pulses" on
leads 5-6.  Just measuring the resistance of the pulse leads is no
indication, depending on state there may be an open or short.  You can watch
the pulse leads with an ohm-meter while turning the beam with the aux 12vdc
supply to check for continuity.

The rotator unit is quite bullet proof.  It is doubtful you can do any harm
to it with a 12vdc supply. I stalled one of mine once, and ripped an element
off the beam before I realized why it was not turning.  Burned up the
rotator controller, but did no harm at all to the rotator itself.  Come to
find out I had the wrong fuze size in the controller...yes it was too large!
My fault entirely.  Good luck! If you decide to call M2 for help, ask for
Wyatt.  He is the 2800 expert.  73 bob de w9ge

<

Jim Idelson K1IR
email    k1ir at designet.com
web    http://www.designet.com/k1ir