[TowerTalk] re[2]: [CQ-Contest] RE: [YCCC] TIC Ring PotentiometerFailure

To: Billy Cox <aa4nu@ix.netcom.com>, John Allen <jallen@vhfcom.com>,TowerTalk Post <towertalk@contesting.com>,CQ-Contest Post <cq-contest@contesting.com>, YCCC <yccc@yccc.org>
Subject: [TowerTalk] re[2]: [CQ-Contest] RE: [YCCC] TIC Ring PotentiometerFailure?
From: Jim Idelson <k1ir@designet.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 11:53:14 -0500
Hi Billy,

Thanks for the note. I have been acutely aware of that possibility. In fact, I
setup a video camera aimed at the tower to help diagnose this problem. It lets
me see where the antennas are aimed since the tower is not directly visible
from the shack. Doesn't work at night - even with bright work lights trained on
the tower.

73,

Jim

> Jim, and John ...

I know John means well, and I suggest trying this also, BUT ... be
VERY careful, as in IF the pot does/has failed, then the odds go UP
greatly that you'll rip the coax off the yagi too ... as the motor does
not have stops ... it will turn until it stalls out <or something breaks>

Let's not inquire as to how I learned this lesson with my TICs ... B-(

73 Billy AA4NU

email    k1ir at designet.com
web    http://www.designet.com/k1ir

<