Re: [TowerTalk] UST HDX589 crank-up tower base on rock?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] UST HDX589 crank-up tower base on rock?
From: Ian White GM3SEK <gm3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 20:45:45 +0000
Joe - WD0M wrote:

>Sounds like a very reasonable way to proceed.  I
>doubt you'll have a big problem using the epoxy
>approach.  I used a material called "Rockite" - a
>cement product used to locate heavy machinery on
>concrete floors - to put my re-bar in place in
>the holes I drilled into the bedrock for the
>tower base.  It worked very well.  Not sure of
>its availability in Scotland, though.  Your
>problem sounds like what I experienced with my
>tower installation.  You can see how I did it at:
>
>http://home.centurytel.net/WD0M/

Thanks for all the replies - and I hope Les is getting as much useful
information from my replies as I'm getting from his.

I already had your site bookmarked, Joe. That must be the largest dental
crown I ever saw! Seriously, thank you for lots of good information
which I've studied carefully.

Unfortunately it looks like Rockite would not be suitable, because this
rock is fairly porous and gets quite wet in winter. However, I'll give
Rockite's UK representative a call tomorrow and see what they say.

Replying also to Steve: on checking the Fischer website (one of the best
manufacturers) it looks like most of the mechanical anchors designed for
building construction are too short to go through the concrete cap and
penetrate well into the rock beneath, so maybe I should just concentrate
on the resin anchors and drill deeper holes.

I'll reply to Jim separately.

--
73 from Ian GM3SEK