To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TowerTalk Digest, Vol 118, Issue 35
From: Ro Grrr <rogrrr@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2012 17:58:59 -0400
> From: K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
> To: towertalk@contesting.com
> Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower removal. Gin Pole or something else?

<SNIP>
> 10 minutes a section, including moving the Gin Pole leaves a comfortable
 RogerWhile I won't disagree with you on the length of time to yank a section,
what do you do when you get a tower where the installer crushed the legs by
over-tightening the bolts ?I had one like that where it took me 2 hours to pull
the top section. After another 2 hours on the next section, I simply gave up.
I had used a tower jack, which I bent, then a bottle jack which was successful
in bending the rungs on both sections I was pushing on. Finally got the top off
but failed on the next section.  All this was at 180 feet on R25 in 25 MPH
winds several years ago. All I got out of it was a bunch of 50 ohm hardline, a
couple J-Pole antennae and the top set of guys. I'd bet the tower is still
there unless they removed the guys and let it fall.I can normally unbolt the
legs and lift the sections by hand and lower them without a gin pole.
Fortunately, I can get my leg inside the tower, lift and then lower it.
Rogeraka RoGrrrKC8HZ