[TowerTalk] Climbing alone ?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Climbing alone ?
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC)
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 10:48:41 EST
In a message dated 97-12-11 09:37:00 EST, w4an@contesting.com writes:

> The cold hard truth is that if I had to wait for someone to be with me
>  when I climbed, I wouldn't have any towers up.  I have 5 up in less than
>  3 years with no help except on 2 or 3 days in all that time.
>
>  Would it be better to have someone with me?  Sure.  But it's just
>  realistic at my remote location.  You do what you have to do to get the
>  job done.  And you carry a lot of life insurance.

      Yes, you go with what you've got. If you're clever enough to figure out
how to do things by yourself that usually take a couple  of people, you're
doing pretty well.

     Local OSHA laws require a ground person at all times when there is
someone on the tower. This person's primary function is a safety spotter if
the climber gets into trouble.

>  The 2mtr handy is a good idea.  I normally carry one with me too.  Of
>  course I think being in good shape and being careful is more important.

     A 2M rig is a good idea. Even better is a cell phone. Many new phones
have an emergency number that you only have to press one button to activate.
Terry Dubson, K6JL, ex-W6MKB, built a huge system with monobanders from 1296
to 80M BY HIMSELF. But he always had a phone with him so he could call his
neighbor, 911, etc. if necessary.

     Just be careful out there. Accidents can happen to anyone.

73,  Steve   K7LXC