Re: [TowerTalk] Terry's Tiltover

To: towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Terry's Tiltover
From: Steve Maki <lists@oakcom.org>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2017 09:34:14 -0400
Many years ago I had a couple customers with 72' aluminum Acme screw towers.

They always made me nervous as I let them down. NOT because I was worried about the screw failing, but that the tower itself would fail when close to horizontal. Both towers were at least a little overloaded, and who could know whether all of the structural members were still at new strength?

One might surmise that if it stays up in big wind it can handle the foldover procedure...but I've seen more than a few overloaded aluminum towers that were fine in big winds until one day they were not.

-Steve K8LX

On 10/25/2017 9:05 AM, Clay Autery wrote:

You ever actually laid eyes on the ACME Screw system they use?  I have. I've disassembled and reassembled one in detail.  I've watched it in use, up close. It is as close to bulletproof as one can get and far superior to cables for a number of reasons (IMO).  I am intimately aware with cable and rod actuation systems being a former aviation maintenance officer.  I'll take the ACME screw system for this tilt-down only aluminum antenna, EVERY time.  No worries about cable routing and stacking when cranking down and up,  many fewer moving parts, etc, etc.

I can hand assemble the entire system, and if I do it right, I don't even need a ladder.  No crane, no helpers.... Albeit, I love having "helpers" around.  My wife helped me disassemble mine in Pennsylvania when we picked it up. I can store or transport it in  and 8x12x6 foot box.  No LTL truck services or attendant charges.  And it doesn't "rust".
On 10/24/2017 10:01 PM, Wilson Lamb wrote:
Heights is beautiful, but you gotta trust that leadscrew!