Re: [TowerTalk] Got a tower/antenna in a CC&R subdivision?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Got a tower/antenna in a CC&R subdivision?
From: "Kelly Johnson" <n6kj.kelly@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 08:14:59 -0700
Go to the county tax assessors office and ask them to tell you if they
have ever reduced the assessment of a property when an amateur radio
antenna was installed next door (or nearby).

Also, it isn't correct to assume that people are only worried about
the value of their house dropping below what it cost them.  In my area
(California), people treat homes like investments and they expect them
to appreciate over time.  A house that fails to appreciate at the
expected rate would be considered to have lost "value".  Of course,
around here, desirable properties sell regardless of nearby
conditions.  My neighbor across the street was worred about his
property value when I put up my tower 1 year ago.  6 months ago he
sold his house for a bit over the asking price ($999, 999) and the new
owners never even knew that my tower was there.  My wife asked them
about the tower a few weeks after they moved in and their response
was: "what antenna"?  It's a 65 foot tall crankup, lattice tower with
2 HF yagis on top.  It's hard to believe that people don't see it, but
it's true.  The first 12 friends of ours (I stopped counting after
that) that came to our house after the tower was up never saw it.
They walked in the front door and never saw the tower right behind the
house.  Towers, if well kept, are insignificant.  Now, ask my new
neighbors what they think of the guy next door who parks his limo on
the street, fires up his Harley at 1am, and has ex-felons for friends.
 I'm sure they now wish they hadn't bought the house, but it sure
isn't because of my tower.  People can always find things they don't
like in a neighborhood.