Re: [TowerTalk] Minimum Discernible Difference

To: "David Gilbert" <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Minimum Discernible Difference
From: "Rick Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 11:43:54 -0700
The intent of these tests is good.  It is always good
to get confirmation that a 2 dB difference in S/N
is significant.  That's why I run 150W in low power
contests instead of 100W, if the rules permit.

There is some question as to the validity of your
experiments.  It sounds like you added perfect audio
tones to receiver background noise.  This isn't
necessarily equivalent to actually receiving signals
through the receiver.  The receiver could have some
nonlinearity and the receive filter could have some
ringing.

Rick N6RK