Re: [TowerTalk] Orion mast clamp

To: towertalk@contesting.com, k7awb@msn.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Orion mast clamp
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 07:55:41 EDT

In a message dated 4/27/2008 3:13:46 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

>  Steve, what is "my Orion mast-clamp"?

    I offer an after market mast clamp for the  Orion. It's hot-dipped
galvanized and uses 6 U-bolts to hold the mast. It's  $160. It's not currently
on
the website but I can send you a photo of it if  you'd like.

>  What are the fatal and semi problems?

    The fatal problems with the mast clamp are 1)  the dimpled surface that
over time allows the nuts to loosen up and 2) the  misaligned and irregular
teeth on the clamp that are supposed to hold the  mast. For such a massive
clamp,
you actually wind up with a miniscule amount  of surface area that actually
holds the mast. My experience has been that  virtually 100% of Orion clamps
loosen up over time.

    The semi-fatal problem is the IMO terrible  controller (that only the
design engineer could love) and the equally  terrible documentation. It always
takes one or two calls to the factory to get  one working properly.

>  You are saying not to use the mast clamp that comes with the  2800 factory?

    Yep. There was a discussion of the problems on  Kurt, K7NV's' website but
I couldn't find it. Maybe someone else has a  url for it.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH
and