Re: [TowerTalk] [Force 12 Talk] Force 12 80M Sigma vertical problem

To: K7LXC@aol.com, towertalk@contesting.com, Force12Talk@qth.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Force 12 Talk] Force 12 80M Sigma vertical problem
From: JBaumgarte@aol.com
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 22:46:53 EST
Steve,

I have had one of these for several years now and it's worked nicely.   I
recall having a problem at first while using a F12 balun.  I removed that
balun
and used a simple coax choke balun, and things worked well.  Also, I  had to
make a larger hairpin (same prox diameter, but one more turn) to get the  match
down to a flat 1:1.  I later added the "Tornado" which has been  exceptional.
 Another trick I used (from Tom) was to just lay  out a bunch of wire of
various lengths on the ground around the base--not  attached to anything.  It
seemed to help and I did make my final contacts  for 5BWAZ with the antenna.

Good luck.

John, N0IJ