Re: [TowerTalk] KT34A and no tower

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] KT34A and no tower
From: "Ricky Scott" <rickw7psk@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 06:59:52 -0700
On 5/21/06, Mike Brown <k9mi@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Scott, that's a nice antenna and I know you have to be anxious to use it.
> If
> at all possible, I'd wait until you can get a tower up even 30ft would be
> better then nothing. Towers anymore, unless they are really good, can be
> had
> for free around here for taking them down. Do you have a "tower guy"
> around?
> We do in this area and he is safe and has climbed for some commercial
> jobs.
> I got lucky and he gave me a 40' tower for helping him take one down
> (ground
> crew).

I have had HD73s for a long time. 1st one I went 5 feet above and it fail
premature. 2nd one I went 1 foot above the rotor and it lasted a long long
time (still have it just no tower). I used 2 1/2" and 2" thick walled tubing
I found at surplus and that stood 6 feet above the house with the HD73 on
top of that and an A3 up a foot. Stayed there for 15 years and worked.

Speaking of Mike.  I had to take it down for new siding and the wiffy said
NO to bracket again to go back up.  So Ive been looking for the last few
years for this free towers (Wife has no budget).  Here in the PNW they dont
exist.   Ive been looking for a 35 or so free standing.  People round here
still want to charge new prices on these things.

Hope he can find one.  It would be much better.

Scotty W7PSK