Re: [TowerTalk] regalvanizing Rohn 45

To: k9kl@centurytel.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] regalvanizing Rohn 45
From: Cqtestk4xs@aol.com
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 13:26:16 EST
Greg

Two ways to go....

Assuming there is no paint on them, you can look in the yellow Pages for
galvanizing companies in you area.  They strip off the old galvanizing, and
then
reapply a hot dip galvanizing.  This can be done on rusty tower.   However, I
would sand the loose stuff off first.  Many of these places have  a 1000
pound minimum charge ranging around $500, depending on your area.

If you don't want to do that, you can sand down the sections, removing the
loose rust and then spray with Rustoleum Cold Galvanizing Spray.  I have  had
very good results using this stuff.  Others have used other cold  galvanizing
sprays with good results too.

Although it is not as good as hot dip, if done correctly, it can last a  long
time.  Expect to use about two cans per section...maybe a little  more.  At
around $5 a can at Home Depot, that's around $10 per section..not  a bad deal.

By the way, I recently used this process to refinish nine sections of Rohn
65 which I brought out with me to KH6.   You can see some pics  of the 65 by
going to webshots.com and doing a search for KH7XS.

Bill K4XS/KH7XS