Re: [TowerTalk] Which thruse bearing?

To: dezrat@copper.net, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Which thruse bearing?
From: TexasRF@aol.com
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 12:28:32 EST

Bill, the Rohn TB3 is designed to fit their 25AG4 top section as well as  the
BAS25G and BPL25G top plates. The top section and plates have a large hole
to also allow use of the TB4 3 inch bearing. This large hole will prevent
mounting a Yaesu bearing directly; some kind of adapter plate would be  needed.

The bearing races of any top bearing are not designed to bypass a lightning
strike. You can count on some damage if this happens.

In my view, the only safe method is to use a wide and heavy flexible strap
from your mast to the tower. To protect the bearing the strap would need to be
attached to the mast above the bearing.

73,
Gerald Williamson K5GW
(here's the shameless plug)
General Manager, Texas Towers

In a message dated 12/12/2006 10:53:24 A.M. Central Standard Time,
dezrat@copper.net writes:

I've had  towers for years but never used a thrust bearing. Now I want
to. In  comparing the Rohn TB-3 and the Yaesu GS-065 I see the Rohn
sells for about  three times the price. Is it three times better?

This may sound odd,  but the reason I want a thrust bearing is to
provide a lightning path  directly from mast to tower rather than
having the strike go through the  rotator to the tower. In other words,
I want to use the thrust bearing to  ground the mast as opposed to
having the mast free-floating. Does that make  sense?

All comments welcome.

Bill,  W6WRT