Re: [TowerTalk] Heliax Connectors

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Heliax Connectors
From: TexasRF@aol.com
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 18:45:27 EDT
about 1.5:1. Now in some circles that is no big deal but most of us  would
avoid that like the plague.

The effect on 6m is not as bad but noticeable. At 70cm (and this is less
than 500 MHz), the effect is a 2:1 bump.

I have tested at h.f. the "good" Amphenol connectors and the so called
fleamarket junk UHF connectors and see no difference. If the metal is there,
and  the insulation is there, what is the problem? We are dealing with a 30
ohm  connector at best so there is plenty of room for impedance variation
without  causing a problem. Even twist on wire nuts for a coax connection has
decent vswr  at h.f..

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 4/20/2010 4:35:08 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
jim@audiosystemsgroup.com writes:

On Tue,  20 Apr 2010 16:57:19 -0400, Ryan Jairam wrote:

>I would just get N  connectors and adapters and use that instead.
>Practically nobody else  but ham and CB use UHF connectors anymore.

Think about WHY. There's  nothing wrong with GOOD UHF connectors for
use at HF and VHF, and hams are  almost the only users of HF in any
volume. There's no advantage to using N  connectors below at least
500 MHz, and they cost a lot more.

Note  that I'm talking about QUALITY connectors from major mfrs like
Amphenol,  Kings, and Pomona, not unbranded junk from ham vendors and
hamfests.

73,

Jim  K9YC