Re: [TowerTalk] USTower HDX Tilt-over Fully Retracted vs Partially Exten

To: gerald@saboe.net, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] USTower HDX Tilt-over Fully Retracted vs Partially Extended
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2008 22:40:22 EST

In a message dated 3/8/2008 5:16:17 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
gerald@saboe.net writes:

>  I  need to work on the rotator shelf in my USTower HDX-772. I've been told
SOP is  to have tower completely retracted, use UST lowering device to
tilt-over  tower to near horizontal onto support stands, and then extend to
expose
the  rotator section in the top section.

    Well, I do it a little  differently since not everyone has a lowering
fixture. I extend the tower  until the rotator shelf is exposed and then stop
the
tower movement. Block  each section with steel pipes, 2x4's or U-bolts on the
legs so that it won't  move no matter what happens. Then climb up and do your
work.

>   Should Prelube 6 or another type lubricant be used on the  load-bearing
tower steel tubing to help reduce friction  when extending/retracking the tower
while horizontal? Seems an  unfortuate amount of galling of load bearing
galvanized steel  tubing will occur with this process.

    You can't get away from it so  you have to live with it. Unless your
tower is being pulled up equally by  cables on all 3 sides, the pull will be
off
center and unequal which will  slide on one or two legs but not all three.
Using any lubricant is of marginal  utility and not worth the effort IMO. The
slight galling isn't anything to  worry about.

    What is more important  is:

1 - Periodic  inspection and cable lubing (at least annually)

2 - Exercising  your mechanism by running it up and down once a month or so.

3 - Not  always leaving your tower in the same extended or retracted
position; e.g. at  the limit switches. Leave it at other places above the
bottom limit
and below  the top limit. This will minimize any possible cable kinking from
always being  bent over a loaded pulley at the same  place all the time.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH -
Professional tower services for hams