[TowerTalk] Subject: Sealing Some connectors

To: towertalk@contesting.com, hsmiller@awsllc.net
Subject: [TowerTalk] Subject: Sealing Some connectors
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 11:05:04 EST

In a message dated 12/12/2006 7:00:20 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,

>    How one seals a connection and what one chooses  to seal the
connection may vary according to the part of the county a  station is
located.   One technique which the locals here have  used to seal coax
connections (particularly around barrell connectors) is  to take a piece
of  plastic kitchen wrap (Saran wrap or Handi-wrap)  and wrap it around
the entire connection.   Then use black tape  to wrap around the plastic
wrap.   To remove it, use a utility  knife to make a slit and peal it
off.  The PL-259s and Barrell  connector will look new.    How this would
work in a salt  environment is unknown.   Stronger measures would likely
be  necessary there.

    Well, that's the first time I've heard Saran wrap  mentioned. Your first
layer should be Scotch 33 or 88 tape. The next layer is  a vapor wrap. While
butyl rubber of some ilk is the preferred material,  you can use other stuff
like Coaxseal, plumber's putty, floral tape, etc. I  personally wouldn't
recommend the Saran wrap method because of the handling  problems up on a tower
but I
suppose it'd work.

    And then the top 2 or 3 layers of 33 or 88 again  and you've got a
bombproof joint.

Cheers,
Steve      K7LXC
TOWER TECH