Re: [TowerTalk] M2 2800 question

To: ab7r@cablespeed.com, towertalk@contesting.com, k9kl@centurytel.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] M2 2800 question
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 13:09:15 EDT

In a message dated 8/25/2008 8:13:45 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
ab7r@cablespeed.com writes:

>  1.  Be carefull when tightening the nuts on the  U-bolts.  A friend of
mine was

helping with an installation and  it did not take much to snap one off.

    What's not much? I've been installing towers for  over 10 years (along
with several of the Orion clamps) and have yet to  snap off any bolt head.

>  2.    But the reason  I had not yet installed the

replacement clamp was for two  reasons.  1.  the bottom was not flat.  On a
flat

surface it rocks back and forth.  When installed and things are  tightened
down this

may or may not be a problem.  But it just  does not seem right.

    The clamps are heavily welded and hot-dipped  galvanized so they started
off flat but the two hot processes have apparently  had some effect. Is it a
problem? Not really. If you're really worried about  it, put a washer between
the turntable and clamp for each bolt. Voila - flat.

>  The other thing is

that the holes for the bottom bolts  are very close to where other parts are

welded.  You actually  have to use a cutting wheel and cut the side of the
nut so

that it  fits correctly.

The clamps are now supplied with  2 bolts with a flat side.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH
and