To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TowerTalk Digest, Vol 58, Issue 68
From: RTTYMAN@aol.com
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2007 19:26:52 EDT

In a message dated 10/21/2007 12:09:27 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

steve65@suddenlink.net

Steve:

I have a friend who once lived about 500-800 east of a pair of BIG double
power lines that ran north & south. He had a 2 element tri-band quad at  about
45 feet as an antenna. I sold a GAP Titan vertical antenna and he  mounted it
about 50 east of his quad. He reported "hearing stations he never  heard, using
the quad, before." So the move of fifty or so did make a difference  in his
case.

I strongly suggest you visit the proposed property with a mobile rig and
make some actual noise measurements your self.  It would be nice to have a
friend who lives a significant distance from the proposed site listening on the

same QRG as you so you could compare notes. Do take into consideration the
different antenna types you & your friend might use for the test.

I cannot stress enough for you to conduct your own  ''listening  research''
before signing any papers.

BTW, that friend sold the property & moved to an area with  above ground
power lines. There, he suffered horrible QRN, has given up HF  completely and
now
just operates VHF & satellites.

73 & GL

Les, NN6K