Re: [TowerTalk] Fiberglass rod

To: kj6y--- via TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fiberglass rod
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2020 17:25:55 -0700
Fiberglass rod is a generic statement. Often for pultruded glass/carbon/kevlar fiber and a polymer. So that leaves a lot of choices including if the polymer is UV resistant. Glass fiber plus polyester resin is the most common and cheapest. Probably UV resistant, but worth checking with the supplier. A large hexbeam I was given had all of the pultruded support tubes painted. steppIR has all trombone fiberglass painted. So acrylic paint is one fix. I've used glass-polyester on several beam driven element restorations.

Generic epoxy-glass material (eg FR4) is not UV resistant so unless spec'd UV resistant needs painted.

Delrin (acetal) is an excellent polymer, but as others noted not likely strong enough on its own as a 40m beam element insulator. A black delrin sleeve over 6061 rod is another choice. My W6NL designed 40m Moxon uses pvc sch 80 pipe inside and outside 6061 tube at the center.

Things to avoid - ABS pipe as it has a foam core and deforms. Nylon and UHMW unless UV grades. Blue nylon has held up well for me as driven element saddles and black UHMW for radial mast bearings.

Grant KZ1W

On 3/8/2020 10:09, Dave Sublette wrote:
Follow up Question.  My browser now works.  Go figure.  Question:  Is there any other material (Delrin comes to mind) that you would recommend for this application?  The rod will be 1.5 inches in diameter and insert at least 6 inches into each half of the dipole. This is a 40 meter dipole and is heavy (75 pounds).  It is supported by strut ropes, but will be subject to bending horizontally and to some us flexing as the wind generates lift. Some torque will be present for the same reason. Keep in mind, I have a similar material that has been in service satisfactorily for over a year on my pair of two element Moxons (without strut ropes).  So I'm sure this will work.  I am  just curious to have the benefit of your experience.

Thanks,

Dave, K4TO

On Sun, Mar 8, 2020 at 12:52 PM Dave Sublette <k4to.dave@gmail.com <mailto:k4to.dave@gmail.com>> wrote:

    Well....it appears that something is out of whack with my browser. I
    will try another flavor.  I have two more available.

    Thanks everyone.

    Dave, K4TO

    On Sun, Mar 8, 2020, 12:42 PM Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net
    <mailto:grants2@pacbell.net>> wrote: