Re: [TowerTalk] "Wind Load" "Wind Area"

To: rtnmi@sbcglobal.net, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] "Wind Load" "Wind Area"
From: TexasRF@aol.com
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 11:18:59 EST

In general, windload is referring to the force in pounds caused by the wind
blowing on an antenna or other structure(s). For this to be meaningful the
associated wind speed has to be given as well. If the data is related to 70mph
wind and you want 90 mph survival, you need to know the basis of the data.

Wind area is referring to the projected physical size of the antenna or
structure(s), usually given in square feet. With this data, you can derive the
associated wind load by multiplying the square feet by the wind pressure for
the
 desired wind speed you are interested in. The higher the wind speed, the
greater  the pressure per square foot.

I will leave it to others to fill in the blanks; I am not qualified to do
that.

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 12/9/2006 11:01:27 P.M. Central Standard Time,
rtnmi@sbcglobal.net writes:

In searching around learning abt WINDLOAD, I have found two terms that  seem
to be the same:

"Wind Load" "Wind Area"

Are these one and  the same?

73 fer nw es gud DX,