Re: [TowerTalk] Inverted V Trouble

To: towertalk@contesting.com, kdutson@sbcglobal.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Inverted V Trouble
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 18:21:48 EST

In a message dated 1/30/2007 3:25:51 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,

>  I use an inverted V for 75/80 meters.  It hangs from my  tower from about
80
feet and has worked fine using a tuner for the past 6  months.  Last night
the VSWR went out of sight.  After a while  trying different tuner settings,
it was brought back to flat.   However, as I began to transmit (SSB) the VSWR
went wild again and I had to  settle on listening to the guys on the net.

>  What problem  should I be looking for?  The antenna is an Alpha-Delta
DX-80.
I have  had it for about 5 years in various operations, including the past
two  Field Day operations. It is fed with about 90 feet of LMR-400 plus 50
feet  of RG213 connected with a barrel connector.  We have had a lot  of
rainy, cold weather over the past two months and I am wondering if  the
problem may be caused by resistivity in the wire connections at the  center
insulator.

    High SWR everywhere is typically a feedline  problem, including the
balun. If this is a trapped antenna, that's another  potential problem.

    Start with the antenna and work backwards. Put an  antenna analyzer at
the antenna feedpoint and see what's what. If the  antenna's okay, keep going
down to the shack.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH -