[TowerTalk] Please your opinion of C31XR

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Please your opinion of C31XR
From: RLVZ@aol.com
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 12:54:32 EDT

Lots of Pros & Cons!

Some of the Cons:

Yes- the TH7DX has traps, and the C31XR has flimsy elements that  bounce
around in the wind incl. the driven element that detunes performance in  windy
conditions, and the SteppIR has motors which can go out.
(one went out on me and if a director or reflector motor goes out on a 3 or
4 element it's hard to diagnose)

All of the above are pretty good antennas when working  properly!

73,
Dick- K9OM

In a message dated 3/12/2007 12:41:16 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
mike@mallardcove.com writes:

The TH7  uses lots of traps.  You can read what F12 thinks of traps and  read
the tribander report from Steve.

I have used C3's in the past  and in my experience the C3's performed just as
well as the  TH7.

What you would be gaining with the C31 is not having to worry  about trap
problems.

Another alternative that I would suggest would  be the SteppIR 4ele.  Now you
can add a dipole element for  30/40m.  With the SteppIR you now have a 4 ele
beam on 10, 12, 15, 17  and 20 meters.  Add the 2 passive elements on 6m and
you have a decent  6m antenna.  6 meters will be back soon and it is a fun
band.  No  the SteppIR does not equal some of the long boom M2 6m beams but
you will  work plenty with it.

I own two SteppIR's and they work very well  especially on the WARC bands
where there are not that many that have  multiple elements.

Good luck

Mike W0MU