[TowerTalk] Re: [Tower base maintenance

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: [Tower base maintenance
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC)
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 1998 09:15:14 EDT

> Check the place where your tower base enters the concrete.
>  I found that in one year this Florida rain had rusted the bottom inch of
>  the metal sticking out of the concrete base.

    I think Frank, W3LPL, now recommends coating the anchor-in-concrete
hardware with tar or similar material for that very reason.

>  I scraped off the rust and painted with "Hammer...something" a brand of
>  spray or brush-on paint that is made to bond with the rust and make the
>  rust its friend.

    Hammer-Rite (close spelling I think) is a paint brand. I've tried one of
their cold galv-type products on a mast but it didn't adher very well. It was
also hard and tended to chip off easily. By the time we got the mast installed
and antennas mounted, I had to go over it all again with cold galv. LPS and
Klein are 2 good cold galv products.

Cheers,  Steve  K7LXC