Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning avoidance

To: dan-schaaf@att.net, TOWERTALK@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Lightning avoidance
From: Cqtestk4xs@aol.com
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 09:14:57 EDT
I lived in FL for 32 years before moving to central FL and had ever
increasing sized towers starting with a 64 footer andc finally winding up with
several 200 footers.  I used to dread the approaching summer and the  huge
thiunderstorms it would bring.  The towers WILL get hit by  lighting.  The
bigger the tower and the more there are the greater the  chance of a hit.

By following the rules that are in various books and the suggestions that
have appeared on the reflector you can reduce the chances of the hit
ENTERING  your home.  The three that were most effective for me were having a
single  bulkhead where everything from the towers entered the station,
installing
 Polyphasers at the bulkhead to a GOOD ground, and disconnecting all wires
enteringthe station from the bulkhead when I was not using the station.  By
 doing all these last three I was able to stay damage free for the last
several  years in FL even with three 200 footers.

I finally solved the problem for good when I moved to Hawaii where we have
almost no thunderstorms.

Good luck with a very tough problem.

73 Bill KH7XS/K4XS
**************Stay connected and tighten your budget with a great mobile