[TowerTalk] Engineering question from Iraq

To: towertalk@contesting.com, jason.gillespie@tq.mnf-wiraq.usmc.mil
Subject: [TowerTalk] Engineering question from Iraq
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 18:23:37 EDT

Howdy, TowerTalkians --

    I got this email asking an engineering question I  can't answer cuz I'm
not an engineer. Any insight you can provide is  appreciated.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH

>  My name is GySgt Jason Gillespie and I am currently deployed to  Iraq and
am a Construction Chief for a unit that is possible going to construct  a
larger tower like structure.  I am tasked with designing the concrete  slab and
constructing the tower.  I am trying to calculate the amount of  wind load that
will be put on the structure so that I can offset that with  additional weight
to keep this thing from blowing over.  The weight of the  structure is 38,000
lbs, it is 45 feet tall and has 220 sq feet exposed to the  prevailing wind.
The structure is designed to withstand a 100 mph gust for  3 seconds.  How
would I calculate the wind load given the above listed  variables?  I read an
article on the internet where you had given advice to  a person concerning the
calculation of wind load, simplified.  Any assist  you can provide me would be
much appreciated.  Thanks for your  time.
Respectfully Submitted,
GySgt Jason  Gillespie