Re: [TowerTalk] N00b Tower Question

To: towertalk@contesting.com, towertalk@hidden-valley.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] N00b Tower Question
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 12:09:28 EDT

In a message dated 6/25/2007 5:56:57 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

>  I want to install this tower, and I want to do it  properly.  I've spent
money
just getting it on-site, and I'm willing  to spend more to install it as it
should be installed.  To this end,  I've assembled some bits and pieces
toward
the project, but I'm just not  clear how to best proceed.  I really want to
do
the work myself if  possible, not out of penny-pinching as much as I'd like
have the sense  of accomplishment.

>  What I have so far:

>  A  Tri-Ex 71' HZN-471 Crank Up Tower (pictures on the link  below)

>   _http://168.28.186.6/techshop/cfp/tower/tower.htm_
(http://168.28.186.6/techshop/cfp/tower/tower.htm)

>   A Cushcraft A4S with the A744 add-on for 40m

>  No rotor/thrust  bearing/whatever yet

>  There are a dozen sites that lovingly  detail the installation of a tower,
but
while they are all similar they  are all different, too.  My tower, as you
can
see from the pictures,  is older (40 yrs?) and is thus no longer supported by
engineering drawings  or anything per Karl at Tashtowers, the successor
company
to Tri-Ex.   The closest thing seems to be the LM-470, but the
detail in the  engineering drawings for the base isn't really clear to me.

    You mean he won't give you any help with the  base? What's ambiguous
about the drawings?

>  The guys on eHam  said the tower seemed sound in the pictures, but that
was
about the extent  of what they were able to say.  I believe they were all in
California, so an on-site inspection was out of the question.

I didn't see anything alarming from the photos.  Everything looked like it
was in decent shape.

>  Is there a site I've missed that has good newbie tower  base information?
The
only time I ever did concrete was putting up  12' satellite dishes...this is
quantum leap, and I'm very aware that  once I've poured 4 yds of concrete,
it's forever.

    This is an engineering question. Either talk to  Karl about specifics or
have an engineer run the calcs and design the base and  anchors.

    You can make some inferences from similar US  Tower models but none of
theirs use guys so it'd be apples and oranges.

>  I'd be particularly interested in the experiences of anyone  who has put
up a
similar tower, but I would be grateful for any advice,  links, expressions of
pity, and especially any input that gets me closer  to seeing this beast
vertical instead of lying on the ground.

Are you going to get a building permit? If so,  you'll probably need the PE
drawings for the application package. If not, you  still need some engineering
help. Maybe there's someone in your local ham club  that's an engineer and can
help. There are several steps to follow after this;  e.g. rebar cage,
excavation, concrete pour, getting tower to the base, etc.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH -
Professional tower services for hams