Re: [TowerTalk] Fractal Antennas, Chip Cohen (N1IR) on Nova Last Night

To: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fractal Antennas, Chip Cohen (N1IR) on Nova Last Night
From: "Rick Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 17:28:39 -0800
I did a search of IEEE for papers on fractal antennas authored by Chip.
There were none in referreed journals, and only 4 or 5 conference
papers, and they were all rather old.  I looked at the papers and none of
them really made a convincing case for fractal antennas IMHO.  It raises a
red flag for me when I see someone making an end run around established
technical journals and going to the general media, such as NOVA.
Most of the time when I follow up on technical "breakthroughs"
I read about in the general media, there is nothing to take to
the bank.  Being in the general media seems to be more of a
negative indicator than a positive one.

Even if a self described fractal antenna is demonstrated to "work",
whatever that means, we still don't know if it worked because of being
fractal or in spite of being fractal.  There is also a confusion between
the meaning of "fractal" and the prior art of "frequency independent
antennas".

Rick N6RK