[TowerTalk] HFTA Accuracy / Usefulness

To: towertalk reflector <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] HFTA Accuracy / Usefulness
From: Scott McClements <kc2pih@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 13:22:31 -0400
Hi All,

I've been in several discussions with some local contesters/DXers over
the High Frequency Terrain Assessment (HFTA) software included with
the ARRL antenna book. I have used the program myself several times. I
was a bit surprised when a local had chosen his new tower height
solely based on the HTFA assessment. He had purposefully chosen 78
feet over even higher heights because HFTA showed that higher heights
actually raised his angle of radiation towards Europe. There would
have been a limit to his tower height at some point, for aesthetic and
neighbor relation reasons, but I don't think momentary reasons.

This brings me to my main point. I went back and read the HFTA
documentation looking for statements about its accuracy. The author
doesn't try to oversell it accuracy (+/-3dB), but its clear not much
has done to validate its results. So the question  - Is there any real
value to this tool?

My opinion was that I would go as high as I could despite what HFTA
said (esp. since it will include a 40m yagi). Perhaps I am wrong - I
was curious what the consensus was. I am asking this with all due
respect - I know there was much effort put into this tool and it uses
the technology and information we have available to us today to the
fullest.

-Scott, WU2X