Re: [TowerTalk] Freezing prop pitch rotor

To: towertalk@contesting.com, 00tlzivney@bsu.edu
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Freezing prop pitch rotor
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2010 16:11:31 EST

In a message dated 12/1/2010 12:01:40 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,

>  I seem to be having some problems with my small prop  pitch rotor
freezing up
When the temperature is below freezing.  I'm  assuming it's a two part
problem.
First, water must be getting in  somehow.
Second, the water freezes when its cold.

>  So,  first, how do I manage to reduce water ingress?

    Since the PP's weren't meant to be  installed vertically, the water is
a problem. OT's who used them used RTV  to seal up all of the top holes -
and there are several of them. Sorry I don't  know all the details. One thing
you can do is to build a little shroud or  doghouse that goes around the PP
and keeps the wx out.

>  Second, how do I manage to heat the rotor?   I  don't have 120v at the
tower

    Well, you're going to need it. That's what you're  going to have to do
- one of those pipe heating tapes will do a great  job. That's the same
thing I had to do with mine. Annoying once but  wonderful when it's cold out
and
it rotates!

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC