[TowerTalk] taking connectors off

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] taking connectors off
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 09:48:13 EDT
w9ol@billnjudy.com writes:

> What is the best way to remove UHF connectors without damaging the
>  connector or the coax?

    Here are my unscientific answers:

    Unsolder it.

    Why would you want to 'save' the last couple of inches of a previously
solder cable anyway? I would recommend just cutting it off and starting over
with the unused portion of the coax. This is particularly true if the coax
has been outside and may have suffered water intrusion and discolored the
shield.

>  Should I reuse an old connector at all?

    The connector will probably look a little ratty but if all the conducting
surfaces are okay I might re-use it in a pinch. The chances of successful
connector removal will be less than 50% in my experience anyway. I usually
just chop off the connector and throw it away. Silver/teflon PL259's are a
buck each from D&L so why go to all the work of removing and re-using one?

>  Should I only install NEW NEVER BEEN USED connectors?

    A good, cheap and reliable scenario IMO.

Cheers,    Steve    K7LXC
Tower Tech

List Sponsor:  ChampionRadio.com - Trylon self-supporting towers, safety
equipment, rigging gear, LOOS tension guages & more!
http://www.championradio.com

-----