[Towertalk] Phillystran Grips

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Phillystran Grips
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 10:20:46 EDT
In a message dated 7/30/02 3:01:03 PM Pacific Daylight Time, na4m@arrl.net
writes:

> Why are two shackles needed?   Is there some reason that the grip thimble
>  could not be slipped over the shackle and then the shackle pin put in the
>  tower plate or anchor rod?  Am I overlooking something obvious?

    I think that the reason is that the bottom-most shackle represents a
convenient attachment point for your comealong-and-cablegrip to pull the guy
wire enough for attachment - otherwise there isn't an anchor for the
comealong.

    You need to pull the guy wire enough to get the right length for
attachment plus enough pull to get some initial tension (say 100# or so) and
you need something for the comealong to pull against.

    When I'm erecting a tower, use 3 comealongs and 3 Klein cablegrips to do
the initial plumb-and-tension when connecting the guy wires.

    In my case I just use a nylon sling attached below the anchor nut or eye
for the attachment.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH -