[TowerTalk] wind / ice ratings info

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] wind / ice ratings info
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 16:03:42 EDT
In a message dated 99-06-21 15:42:47 EDT, tonybean@bicnet.net writes:

> Where (on the Internet, perhaps?) can I obtain the wind and/or ice load
>  ratings for different parts of the country?  I'm getting ready to put up a
>  pretty large tower/antenna and want to get this info to help plan.

     The TIA-222-E Tower Standard US county windspeed ratings are on
http://www.championradio.com - look under Tech Notes.

     They don't mention ice loading but the TIA standard uses 1/2 inch of
radial ice when ice loading is a design consideration. You could call your
local building department to ask them if it's a factor. You probably already
know if you get icing at your QTH or not. But if you're going to get a
building permit, then you'll need to know if you have to factor it in or not.

     And congratulations for anticipating the need for this information
before you begin your system planning and design.

Cheers,   Steve     K7LXC
Champion Radio Products