Re: [TowerTalk] Bull pin / drift pin

To: dieven@comcast.net, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Bull pin / drift pin
From: TexasRF@aol.com
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 07:48:38 -0400 (EDT)
Dick, you might try an automotive parts store. Many of them have some
pretty big tools to sell.

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 8/29/2011 6:29:18 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
dieven@comcast.net writes:

I find  myself without a drift pin to align the leg holes in Rohn 55G  tower
sections (5/16” bolt size).  I need to pull together several  sections on
the
ground with a couple of come-alongs.  We plan to use a  crane to lift
preassembled sections and I don’t to do these one at a time  at crane rental
rates.

Where do I find a good drift pin /  bull pin / barrel pin for this purpose?
Klein Tools and  SteelErectorTools.com offer some really hefty ones for
steel
construction,  and I’ve found little drift punch sets at Sears and Ace
Hardware and Harbor  Freight, but not one that’s about the right size for
this. I think a ¼”  point diameter would be about right, maybe the large
diameter would be ¾”,  perhaps 6” long?

Something that cleared the holes a little bit  so I didn’t have to force the
bolts through would be helpful.  These  are new sections that haven’t met
one
another before. I got the top plate  on with a rubber mallet, but that’s not
going to work with 100# tower  sections.

Thanks!

Dick,  K6KR