[TowerTalk] Fwd: Maximum Guy Radius

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Maximum Guy Radius
From: HansLG@aol.com
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2011 23:17:02 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Dorn,

I made some calculations regarding guy wires some time ago. One thing I
found out was that you gain some stiffness by mowing the guy anchor out some.
Not considering the sag, the optimum anchor point is about 140%. If you
include sag you probably have to decrease that a little. I also noted that it
is  a lot easier to use four guy wires instead of three. The position of the
angle  is much less critical.

I use 5/16" (11,400#) utility grade wire for my guys which was a lot
easier to work with than expected. You can check it out at
_http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150198503693539.328964.579753538&l=1c649b80ab&type=1_

(http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150198503693539.328964.579753538&;
l=1c649b80ab&type=1)

73 de,

Hans - N2JFS

In a message dated 9/21/2011 9:33:45 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
kb4eq@hetzel.org writes:

If I  have a tower of a specific fixed height that I will be erecting,
and I have  plenty of room to do so, I would estimate that I should
gain *some*  additional strength against wind-load by moving the
guy radius from 80% of  height to 100% of height, since this will
move the guy angle closer to  horizontal and reduce the down
force on the tower and increase the  horizontal back-force for
a given guy tension and a given stretch in a guy  due to motion
of the tower.

Can anyone comment from either a  practical experience or
engineering point of view whether this estimate is  sound?

73,

Dorn  Hetzel
KB4EQ
kb4eq@hetzel.org