Re: [TowerTalk] protective hose for COAX runs

To: "JoshL" <xxhound@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] protective hose for COAX runs
From: "Rick Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 15:14:51 -0700
JoshL wrote:
> I  live in high desert of Northern NV
> Lots of creatures are eager to chew on coax
> or control lines .
>
> I have some LMR 400 running inside some
> FIBER optic hose ( very tough stuff) that I found
> for free about 200 ft one piece .
>
> I could use hardline too
>
> *but does anyone have a source of surplus Fiber
> Optic protective hose ? *
>
> I guess flexible EMT might be use able to protect
> coax also ?

A general problem with hoses of whatever sort is that
they always seem to arrive coiled up and don't want
to lay flat on the ground.

I have tried various ideas along these lines.  I tried
flexible plastic conduit (called "ENT") and found that
pulling coax through it was a big hassle, and then the
stuff lasts only a few years in the sun before turning
brittle and falling apart.

I also tried to use cheap poly irrigation tubing (5/8 inch
diameter) as a sheath over coax, but it turned out that
it was impossible to slip even as much as 100 feet of tubing
over coax due to the friction, and the fact that the tubing
wanted to curl up.

What has worked very well was to slip ten foot sections of
PVC conduit over coax one at a time and connect them with
fittings just using the friction of engagement.  It would also
be possible to tape the joints as is done on SteppIR elements.
This method is very easy because you are not pulling coax through a long
conduit.  Instead you pull the conduit over the coax.  No problem even
with 500 feet.

In some cases I have dug a trench 2 inches deep and buried
these runs just deep enough to avoid tripping over them.

Rick N6RK