Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Consult

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Consult
From: Bill Turner <dezrat@copper.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 10:33:45 -0700
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 13:03:05 -0400, "Dick, W1KSZ"
<w1ksz@earthlink.net> wrote:

>At present, I have narrowed the choice of towers to either 80' of
>Rohn 45 or an 80' Universal Aluminum Free-Standing tower.

------------ REPLY FOLLOWS ------------

I like the free-standing approach. I don't like guy wires because I
don't trust them and they need regular watching and possibly
maintenance. A free-standing tower is plant it and forget it. I have
an 80 foot Trylon which has been up six years with no problems at all.
True, it takes a lot of concrete, a six foot cube, but the hole was
dug in about an hour with a backhoe. It took a couple of hours to
construct a rebar cage and 15 minutes to fill with concrete.

The only thing I might do differently is put in a free-standing
crankup or fold-over tower. At my age, 64, climbing 80 feet is a job.
Last Tuesday ago I spent 7.5 hours at the top and it was a job and a
half, let me tell you. :-)

I'm almost back to normal.

Bill W6WRT