Re: [TowerTalk] Balun question

To: K7LXC@aol.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Balun question
From: k3bu@optonline.net
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 01:08:58 +0000 (GMT)

> Can anyone tells me what happens? Should I be using a
> current-type balun
> ala' W2AU or should I wind the choke? If so, what size is it?
>
> Part deux. In my meager understanding, a balun is a
> transformer that
> goes from balanced-to-unbalanced (bal-un, get it?) vis-a-vis a
> feedpoint. It
> also functions as an RF choke to prevent RF from spilling down
> the outside of
> the shield. A coax wound RF choke doesn't really "transform"
> anything but does
> choke the stray RF trying to come down the outside of the
> shield. Am I close?
>
> Anyway, all comments appreciated.
>
> Cheers,
> Steve K7LXC
> TOWER TECH

For mono-band antennas I prefer "bazooka" balun. It is a quarter wave stub
wired per instructions in handbooks etc. Advantage is low loss, no ferites, it
is a bal-un and also bandpass filter. Also widens the bandwidth of antenna, its
reactance works opposite the antenna's reactance, SWR curve is more flat.

Yuri, www.K3BU.us
www.TeslaRadio.org