[TowerTalk] SS Nuts and Bolts

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] SS Nuts and Bolts
From: TexasRF@aol.com (TexasRF@aol.com)
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 09:45:45 EST
Hi Pete, a few years back I was trying to use a big Yaesu G2800  rotor for a
polarity rotor on a new 70cm eme antenna and could not keep the mast pinning
bolts from coming loose. Granted, this is a big and heavy antenna but I had 8
X 3/8 inch hardened bolts with lock washers screwing the mast clamps to the
mast. With no particularly bad wind storms, those 8 bolts would work loose in
about two weeks and the thing would start slipping again. I finally replaced
the bolts with short threaded rods and used two nuts next to each other as jam
nuts and that took care of the loosening problem. The rotor was unable to
survive the punishment and was eventually replaced by a home made unit that
has held up fine for about two years now. The mast was pinned with the same
jam nut technique. I don't plan to ever use lock washers again.

73 de Gerald, K5GW