Re: [TowerTalk] impedance meter recommendations pse

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] impedance meter recommendations pse
From: Ian White GM3SEK <gm3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 21:31:22 +0000
Jim Lux wrote:
>>For the record (and correcting an error in the 4th edition of ON4UN's
>>'Low Band DXing') the N2PK VNA does not have a broadband detector, and
>>does not suffer from those well-known limitations.
>
>I should clarify.. my comment about broadband detectors is just for
>various and sundry bridge/3 meter/6 port network schemes.
>
>And, for what it's worth, one could always use a tuned detector with
>any of those schemes.
>

>>It uses a narrowband measurement method that continues to give accurate
>>antenna impedance readings in the presence of strong off-frequency
>>signals. If the interfering signal is stronger than the threshold of
>>detector burnout (above 10mW), the VNA can be physically protected by a
>>band-reject filter without any significant loss of measurement accuracy.
>
>I presume one would redo the cal with the filter in place?

That's correct.

Like a professional VNA, the N2PK does not rely only on the quality of
its construction and components.  It also minimizes its internal errors
by being calibrated with an open-circuit, then with a short-circuit, and
finally with a 50R standard load. The results of this "cal" procedure
are then used to correct all the measurements it makes.

Compared with amateur-market instruments that rely on build quality
alone, the use of calibrations takes the N2PK into the professional
league for accuracy.

Repeating the cal with a BCB protection filter in place is effectively
making that filter part of the calibrated instrument.  Its varying loss
and impedance-transforming characteristics are all "calibrated out" so
they don't affect the results.

Another neat trick with an open-short-load calibrated VNA is to keep the
instrument indoors, and do the o-s-l swapping at the far end of the
coax, out by the antenna. Again, this makes any arbitrary length of
feedline into a part of the calibrated instrument, so that you can make
all your measurements remotely.

--
73 from Ian GM3SEK