Re: [TowerTalk] Just set up a long mast Screwdriver Antenna - was 43 ft

To: TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Just set up a long mast Screwdriver Antenna - was 43 ft
From: tsmithers@cix.co.uk (Trevor Smithers)
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 12:30 +0000 (GMT Standard Time)
Mike, AD6AA said:
>I've been thinking off and on about a stationary Screwdriver Antenna for the
>low bands.
I've just set up something similar based on the HiQ 5/160 antenna here
http://www.hiqantennas.com/

I have a 5/160 set up as a ground mounted base station antenna. Feed point is
about 6"
above 30 buried radials of various lengths and fed via a 4:1 balun to an
MFJ-927 remote
tuner - main interest 160, 80 and 40.

>You can put a much larger Cap Hat on it than if you were going down the road
The HiQ site mentions how effective the EB8 cap hat is so I thought I'd check
it out for
myself.

(a) Using just the 102" whip I obtain resonance on 1.836 with a coil setting of
30
(MFJ-1924 controller) which is nearly maximum inductance.

(b) Adding a 1ft extn rod, and an EB8 with whip on top moves the coil setting
to 145

(c) Adding another 1ft rod gives further improvement to 154

(d) Adding another EB8 1ft above the first together with the whip gives even
further
improvement to 193 on the controller.

So, all in all, there is a reduction of 163 turns (and corresponding
inductance) in the
number required to maintain resonance on 1.836 between the whip on its own and
adding two EB8 cap hats.

In theory this improvement should translate into improved radiation efficiency
(quoted as
1.3% for 160 using just the whip) but I'm not sure how to go about checking
this. I tried
taking reading using an untuned field strength meter with a short whip but
couldn't see
any difference.

The quoted radiation efficiency for the standard 5/160 with 102" whip is 1.3%
(160m),
12% (80m), 43% (40m) and 77% (20m). It would be nice to know what the revised
figures would be with the addition of the two capacity hats.

I appreciate that my arrangement using two EB8's might not be suitable for
mobile
operations (unless you're feeling very brave) but, for base station use its
quite feasible,
and gets me onto top band from an otherwise unsuitable qth.

73 to all
Trevor  G0KTN