Re: [TowerTalk] porcupines

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] porcupines
From: Ian White GM3SEK <gm3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 18:23:53 +0100
Alan Wilson wrote:
>For whats it worth..I used to live in northern Alabama and frequently
>got hit by lightning. After I attended a program by Pres Jones (wireman)
>I decided to try the porcupines...I installed 2 near the top of my tower
>(84 ft) at 45 degree angles and made sure they had a good path to
>ground.

Hold on there - you did TWO things!

>Results were the  last 5 years I lived there I got no strikes on
>the tower even though several nearby  trees (lower) got  hit.
>coincidence.?? maybe, but it worked for me.

Now which one of those two things solved your problem... or was it
both... and how can you tell?

That's the problem with "it worked for me" reports. We always
concentrate on getting results, but we usually make more than one change
at the same time. So even if "it works", we can rarely be sure exactly
WHAT worked.

--
73 from Ian GM3SEK         'In Practice' columnist for RadCom (RSGB)
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek